Youthful Defendant Unit
Office of the Public Defender
217 E. Redwood Street
10th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 2120
Phone: 410
Fax: 410

Commonly Used Numbers:
OPD Central Booking
410 209 4437
OPD Baltimore City Main Number
410 333 4900
OPD Baltimore City Juvenile Court
443 263 6360
410 209 4001
Eager Street Academy
410 209 4091
443 263 8998

Quick Help for Families

I (or someone in my family) am facing deportation. Where do I go for help?

If you have a case pending in Immigration Court or are concerned that you will be deported, it is important to get legal help. Fortunately, there are free or low-cost options for obtaining legal assistance.  Here are some good places to start in the Baltimore area:

University of Maryland Immigration Clinic
University of Maryland School of Law
500 W. Baltimore Street
Baltimore, Marylane 21201
410 706-3295

Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Services (Baltimore Archdiocese) 
430 S. Broadway
Baltimore, Maryland 21231
Phone: 410 534 8015

Kids in Need of Defense (KIND)* — Baltimore Office 
c/o Venable LLP
750 E. Pratt Street Suite 900
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Phone: 410 209 2196
*KIND serves children under age 18 only

I do not have food in my home for my family or myself. Where can I go for help? 

There are a number of food pantries in the greater Baltimore area. Here are some good places to start:

United Way First Call for Help — 1 800 492 -0618 (available 24 hours per day 7 days per week)

Baltimore Crisis Response, Inc. — 410 433 5175 (available 24 hours per day 7 days per week)

Also, you should apply for food stamps through your local Department of Social Services. To find out where the DSS office is in your area please call 443 378 4600. You need to know your zip code and the operator can tell you where to apply for assistance.

I am currently being evicted from my home. Where can I go for help?

Maryland Legal Aid offers free legal help to low-income clients throughout the state, including those facing eviction or foreclosure. Legal Aid can be reached at:

Main Office
500 E. Lexington Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
Phone: 410 951 7777
Toll Free: 800 999 8904
Intake: 410 951 7750 or 866 MD LAW 4U (635-2948)

Cherry Hill Neighborhood Center
606 Cherry Hill Road
Baltimore, MD 21225
Phone: 410 355 4223

Baltimore County
29 W. Susquehanna Ave., Suite 305
Towson, MD 21204
Phone: 410 427 1800
Toll Free: 877 878 5920

A family member has a drug problem and wants to get clean.  Where can I go for help?

Baltimore Substance Abuse Systems (BSAS) is the agency, which runs Baltimore’s drug treatment programs. You may contact BSAS and speak directly to a substance abuse specialist at 410 637 1900. 

The following hospitals offer medical detoxification: 

  • Johns Hopkins Bayview — 410 550 1908
  • Maryland General Hospital — 410 225 8626
  • Mercy Medical Center — 410 332 9075

I am interested in finding mental health help for myself, or my child. Where can I go for help? 

Baltimore Crisis Response, Inc. (BCRI)  provides emergency mental health services seven days a week, from 7:00am –midnight. 
Call them at 410 433 5175 if you need immediate help.

Baltimore Child and Adolescent Response System (B-CARS) provides community-based mental health services for children in crisis. B-CARS operates a 24-hour hotline which can be reached by calling 410 752 2272.

Baltimore Mental Health Systems is another resource if you or a family member would like mental health treatment. Call and ask to speak with an adult or adolescent coordinator who can provide you with the names and numbers of local mental health providers in your area at 410 837 2647 or on the web at