OPD Attorney Positions
The Maryland Office of the Public Defender (OPD) recruits both entry-level and experienced trial attorneys. Typically, entry-level attorneys start with OPD as trial attorneys in our the District Court divisions. District Court attorneys placed at our various offices across the State typically start with OPD twice a year in "classes." We specifically advertise for positions with our specialized units (e.g. Collateral Review, Appellate, Juvenile...etc.), for experienced trial attorney positions, and for supervisory positions.
Specifically Advertised Positions
The Office of the Public Defender seeks aggressive, client-centered, and resourceful advocates to join our team. OPD is currently recruiting entry-level attorneys specifically interested in juvenile indigent defense to serve as:
Application Procedure for Specifically Advertised Positions: If you wish to be considered for an attorney position listed above please follow the application procedures outlined in the job listing.
Statewide Entry Level Positions
The Office of the Public Defender seeks dynamic, dedicated, and client-centered litigators to serve as Assistant Public Defenders at various District Court locations throughout the State of Maryland. OPD is currently recruiting for our Fall Class of 2015!
Qualifications for District Court Positions:
- Demonstrated commitment to zealous, comprehensive public defense.
- Exposure to the proceedings and pace of the District Court (litigation experience or judicial clerkship helpful).
- Ability to work independently and effectively manage an active caseload.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Active membership in good standing in the Maryland Bar or the Bar of another state by August, 2015. Accordingly, most current 3Ls are not eligible for this position. Selected candidates who are members of the Bar of another State at the time they start with OPD must be admitted to the Maryland Bar within 18 months of their start date. OPD will also consider applicants who recently sat for the July Bar Examination and are currently awaiting results. Should those applicants not successfully become members of the Bar at the time hiring decisions are made, they will no longer be considered for this position.
How to Apply:
If you wish to be considered for this position please submit a: (1) current resume, (2) cover letter, (3) law school transcript (official or unofficial); (4) list of references, (5) completed Attorney Application for Entry Level Position, and (6) completed Applicant Essay.
Cover letters should be addressed to:
Johanna Cohen Leshner, Director of Recruitment
6 St. Paul Street, Suite 1318
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
All requested materials must be submitted electronically. Please email all materials in one email to email@example.com. In the subject line of the email please indicate “Fall Class 2015.” Incomplete applications will not be considered.
CLOSING DATE: NOVEMBER 21, 2014
Assistant Public Defenders are full time employees who serve at the pleasure of the Public Defender. Criminal Procedure Article, Section 16-203(d). Assistant Public Defender cannot simultaneously engage in the private practice of law. The Maryland Office of the Public Defender is an equal opportunity employer.